Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Where It Went Wrong

Unlike Carrie I don't really wonder what happened or how. I pretty much know. A busy yet mostly sedentary life, processed foods and far too much fast food.

I had and made little time for exercise. Instead I was doing things that don't burn any calories (like working a desk job.) I was eating foods which were inexpensive, fast, convenient but high in calories and low in nutrition leaving me hungry even after eating full meals. And since we were busy (and it tasted good) fast food made up too big of a part of our monthly diet.

And I know when. It wasn't like I was getting and the scale and seeing a 30-40 pound gain! No. It was gradual. It happened little by little and pound by pound over 20 years. Less than a pound a month on average. Not even 10 pounds a year. Nothing to shock me into horror at what I'd done to myself.

If the scale said 220 I would say, "Glad I'm not 250." At 270 it would be, "At least I'm under 300." At 354, "It could be worse. I'm not going to get to 400! In fact I'm going to lose some weight." And I would... for a while. Things hadn't gotten bad yet. I wasn't one of those really big people you see in TV.

Finally after weighing in at 374 during a Dr. visit I knew there had to be changes or I WAS going to pass the 400 mark and the next imaginary line and the next one. I cut out soda and nearly all fast food and started riding my bicycle again. Over the next few months I dropped 25 pounds.

Then I hurt my knee and had to stop riding for a while. A while turned into a few months then winter came and I had an excuse to not start again. I kept my soda intake down and the fast food for the most part too but didn't make many other real changes. A year later when I went to the Dr. because of strep throat and weighed in I was up to 379. OUCH!

Something had to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment