Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Can We AFFORD to Eat Healthy Foods

Healthy foods and veggies aren't cheap. So we weren't sure how eating like we should was going to impact our budget. It was surprising what affect eating healthier actually had on our food bill. The truth is that even opting for some (higher priced) organic ingredients our total food bill is quite a bit lower than it used to be.

Ditching fast food saves a ton of money. Just consider what happens if you don't take a lunch to work and eat out somewhere. It adds up fast even for a $5 lunch. That times lunches a week is an extra $100 every two weeks or $200 when we are both working full time.

We are cooking at home most of the time and it is often from scratch. Pre-packaged meals are actually costly compared to cooking from scratch especially if you get some things on sale. Just looking at yesterday's "cooking day", we produced 10 days worth of lunches and dinners for the two of us. I'm pretty certain that if we were to add everything up we would be in the $2 per serving range for some of the meals and less for others. (The soup I actually figured out.... $0.92 for a 1-1/2 cup serving!)

The last thing affecting our food bill is that we are eating proper serving sizes of more filling foods. That alone is really stretching our food budget and helping us pay for the healthier choices at the store.

2 comments:

  1. I know that we watch what is on sale and at Festival the coupon items you can go back and buy again during the week. I paid $.98 for gallon milk and $.88 for a bag of potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunetly in my case, I'm the only one eating healthy in my house. The kids and Kevin want to continue with their horrible eating habits so I have my regular shopping and then the special meals for me on top. It's expensive!

    ReplyDelete